No matter how artistic a person is, without quality tools and products even a genius like Michelangelo would not have been able to paint the Sistine Chapel.
How rightly put is that? Let’s think about makeup for a second (I mean what else would we do here on my blog!) & ask yourself if you agree or disagree to the lines quoted above. Do you believe that makeup tools like makeup brushes are a necessity more than a luxury or do you feel they’re overrated and hyped without any due cause? Do you feel that you can apply makeup just as well using your fingers as you would if you were using a set of professional makeup brushes?
I’ve been there & asked myself those very questions. When I got into makeup, I had one makeup brush to apply my makeup with and din’t know what to do with it! But slowly as I went on to learn more & I invested my time & heart into makeup, I realised that it made a WORLD of a difference to how my makeup looked when I used just my fingers compared to when I used a set of makeup brushes!
As you can tell, today’s post is going to be related to tools…a 101 about makeup brushes & to make it easier I’ll share with you one brush set that is my ABSOLUTE favourite!
This year for Christmas I treated myself to this gorgeous set of 29 makeup brushes from Sigma & I cannot begin to tell you how much I’m in awe of them! Like seriously! I own over 10 sets of makeup brushes & this by FAR is the one that I treasure the most…read on & you’ll see why! 🙂
So here it is…my Sigma Extravaganza Copper Complete Kit!
This kit comes with 29 makeup brushes made from a mix of synthetic as well as natural hair bristles. It is without a doubt an all-encompassing makeup brush set from Sigma Beauty…one that offers you everything you’re ever going to need for your face and/or eyes!
I chose the COPPER set (it comes in 2 other colours- a Gold and a Chrome) because I think it looks the classiest & grandest of them all…plus I’m not a huge fan of the Gold-Gold look…if you know what I mean!
What Sigma says:
“The Extravaganza Collection is a lavish assortment of hand-crafted brushes with luxurious, specialty-plated ferrules. The Extravaganza Complete Kit – Copper features 29 of our best-selling brushes with hand-polished, 100% pure copper ferrules and comes in a deluxe carrying case, perfect for traveling and storage. Everything you need for a luxurious makeup application.”
** Click on the images to view larger image.
Let’s take a look at these brushes now…what say!?
The set comes with 14 face brushes, 14 eye brushes & 1 lip brush. Here’s what Sigma says about each individual brush. I’ll be splitting them in smaller sets/batches so you can see better what they look like.
- F20 – Large Powder: Controlled bronzer application. Bronzing of the cheekbones and temple area. Using the flat side gives definition and control.
- F30 – Large Powder: Even powder application .Uniform blending of powder products onto the face and body.
- F25 – Tapered Face: Exact product placement onto cheeks. Apply powder, blush or contour shades onto the cheeks and temples. Tapered shape gives exact placement of product.
- F10 – Powder/Blush: Precise placement of blush. Use for powder application.
- F50 – Duo Fibre: Creates an airbrush effect onto the skin. Can be used with powder, liquid or cream products.
- F35 – Tapered Highlighter: Subtle highlighting. Apply highlighting shades onto the upper contours of the face. Diffused finish gives skin a natural glow.
- F15 – Duo Fibre Powder/Blush: Soft blush application. Generates a diffused blush application. Works especially well with mineral product for a natural and delicate effect.
- F40 – Large Angled Contour: Cheek application. Use the angle to softly contour the cheekbone. Can also be used to apply blush.
- F55 – Small Duo Fibre: Creates a controlled airbrush effect onto the skin. Use with cream or powder blush and highlighting products.
- F05 – Small Contouring: Contour cheeks. Buff and blend contour shades under cheekbone and jaw line for a chiseled look.
- F60 – Foundation: Smooth foundation application. Apply liquid or cream products such as foundation and primer.
- F65 – Large Concealer: Conceal larger areas of the face or body. Works well with liquid or cream products.
- E25 – Blending: Controlled blending. Blend colors together onto the lid with added control. Buff out harsh lines for a well blended effect.
- E45 – Small Tapered Blending: Precise color application onto the crease. Picking up color with just the tip of the brush, apply intense colors to the crease to add depth and dimension to the eye.
- E40 – Tapered Blending: Soft blended crease. Using just the tips to apply color, sweep back and forth through the crease for a diffused and blended finish.
- E35 – Tapered Blending: Controlled application of crease color. Using just the tip of the brush to pick up color, apply directly onto the crease and sweep through. Effect is blended, but defined.
- E50 – Large Fluff: Controlled highlighting. Apply highlighting shades onto the brow bone or upper cheekbone. Gives a soft and blended finish.
- E15 – Flat Definer: Sharp and precise application. Press product along upper and lower lash lines to create an easy thin liner. Works with gel, liquid or powder products.
- E30 – Pencil: Soften and smoke out lines. Soften pencil liners along the top and bottom lash lines, add shadow to line the eyes, or use to highlight inner corner of eyes.
- E65 – Small Angle: Create precise lining. Moves fluidly and easily across the upper and lower lash lines. Use with gel, cream or powder liners.
- E60 – Large Shader: Uniformly cover the whole lid with product. Apply cream shadow base or cream shadow for quick and even coverage.
- E55 – Eye Shading: Even application of color. Place color across the whole lid for an even and strong application of product.
- E70 – Medium Angled Shading: Soft application of color. Use for brow highlighting or to blend the crease.
- E20 – Short Shader: Concentrated color application. Apply color onto small areas of the eye such as the outer eyelid. Also use to smudge the lower lash line.
- F75 – Concealer: Precise product placement. Use around the lip area to conceal when wearing bold lip colors.
- F70 – Concealer: Conceal small areas. Conceal the hardest to reach areas such as around the nose and eyes.
- E10 – Small Eye Liner: Precise application of liner. Use with gel or liquid liners.
- E05 – Eye Liner: Create smooth and even lines. Use with gel or liquid liners.
Here’s a closer look at the smaller brushes:
To finish up let me show you an interesting detail about this brush set- these brushes not only have the most gorgeous copper ferrule & black handle combo, but also come with their name, suggested purpose and numbers on one side & on the other side they all say the word ‘extravaganza’ in gold on the black handle…how sexy is that!?
One last look! I have one word to describe them…